After working for a boss that seemed to be a complete nightmare, you’re finally done. Maybe you were fed up with everything that was going on, or perhaps you were fired for no good reason. Based on what you experienced at your previous job, you are now feeling angry and looking to seek justice—you want to press charges against your former employer.

First, it is important to realize that not every injustice can lead to legal action. While some actions, without a doubt, require legal action, others may not qualify for a lawyer’s assistance. Because of this, no matter what your case may be, it is important to simply contact an employment law attorney near you and explain your situation. If you have a legitimate case, the attorney will gladly represent you and aggressively pursue your former employer.

Employment lawsuits occur all the time, and for many different reasons. When it a former employer as opposed to current, many of the lawsuits are based on wrongful termination. While some states allow employers to fire employees without any notice or explanation, it is unlawful anywhere in the country for employees to be fired based on their age, gender, family status (pregnant, married, etc.) nationality, religion, ethnic background, or disability, if any.  Of course, most employers won’t fire someone and use one of those qualities as a reason (although, believe it or not, it has and it does happen) and many of them will try to make up a different excuse. However, most of the time the excuse they make up makes no sense and is simply not true, leading victims to understand the real—and unlawful reason—why they were terminated from their job.

Many individuals press charges against former employers after quitting a job for various reasons as well. One main reason for quitting and then pressing charges is for inadequate or complete lack of compensation when an employer violates labor laws regarding overtime pay and more. While you can’t sue an employer for not giving you a raise (unless it was a written contract) you can press charges for unpaid wages or unpaid overtime.  If you were sexually harassed or discriminated against, you can also press charges.
The quickest and best way to start a lawsuit against your former employer is to be connected with one of our lawyers as soon as possible by filling out a contact form.